24 Apr Consuming Alcohol and Your Baby
Hey Mamas! Did you know there is no known amount of alcohol that is safe to drink while pregnant? Yep, that means put down the cocktail for the mocktail and trade-in regular beer for non-alcoholic beer. If you enjoy wine, try the growing array of red and white wines where the alcohol has been removed.
Not only is there no safe amount of alcohol while pregnant, but there is also no safe time to consume it. There is no preferred alcohol. All alcohol is harmful to growing fetuses, from wine coolers to beer to hard liquor. In fact, birth defects from alcohol exposure are entirely preventable, just by abstaining from it.
Fetuses exposed to alcohol in the womb can be born with a range of lifelong physical, intellectual and behavioral disabilities, which fall under the term Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. The risk of miscarriage and stillbirth is also higher.
If you’re struggling to break the habit and can’t stop drinking alcohol while pregnant, there are a few things you can do. Avoid places where you usually drink, like parties, bars or clubs. Get rid of any alcohol you have in the house. Ask your friends and family for support in helping you avoid alcohol throughout your pregnancy. Have an open and honest conversation with your provider. She’s there to help, with the best interest of you and your baby at heart.
There is a lot more to learn about consuming alcohol during the prenatal and postpartum period. Mommyato has created a section on this for you, Mama. If you find you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol or substance dependency, here are additional resources for local treatment programs:
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) treatment facility locator or call 1-800-662-4357.
- The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) alcohol treatment navigator
- Alcohol Anonymous (AA) to find a treatment program near you.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). February 2023. Alcohol and pregnancy. https://www.acog.org/womens-health/infographics/alcohol-and-pregnancy
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC). November 2022. Alcohol use during pregnancy. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fasd/alcohol-use.html#:~:text=There%20is%20no%20known%20safe,exposed%20to%20alcohol%20before%20birth
- Photo by Andrea Piacquadio: Women Drinking Wine. https://www.pexels.com/photo/women-drinking-wine-858475/